Friday, January 4, 2008

On Chan Wing- the man who built our King's Palace

A little bird told me .................

Chan Wing- arrived in Malaya in 1887 as a coolie- struck it rich with the opening of the Hong Fatt Tin Mine in Sungai Besi.
He has in total 26 children with 9 wives .
Chan Wing was a staunch believer in the teachings of Confucious and accordingly, the lifestyle of the time was that many Chinese men took a few wives because they wanted sons to carry on the family lineage.
When he first came with his family to KL from HongKong in 1918, they lived in a house on Weld Road, the present Jln Raja Chulan.

Being a busines man, he even ventured into rubber plantations. He was attributed to be one of the founding members of the Kwong Yik Bank in 1913.
A good indication of his wealth and stature would be in 1922, his car was commandeered for use during the visit by the Prince of Wales who later became King Edward VIII of England. Possession of a car was a rare feat during those days.

Weld Road house became too small for his growing family. He purchased a 13acres piece of land and engage well known architecks Swann & McLaren to design "the biggest house in Malaya" then . 1929- he moved into the "Big House" wih his family.

2nd World War- the family fled to Cameron first, then subsequently fled to India where they waited out the war in Mussorie in India, till March 1946.
He later passed away 1947, at the age of 74..........

as narrated by Chan Wing's 8th child- daughter Chan King Nui

"IDEAS WITHOUT ACTION ARE WORTHLESS "
Harvey Mackay

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the daughter of one of the son of Mr Chan Wing,Mr Chan Sei Cheung. I live in France, i would like to have contact with my family father.

Unknown said...

Hi Christina
wow its great to be in touch with one of the descendents of Chan Wing!
What do you mean you want to contact with your father's family? Do you mean you've got no links now with them? Plese email me so that we can correspond further at my address: deanna.how@gmail.com.

David Sew said...

Hi there, is there a way i can obtained Chan King Nui email or address as I need to communicate with her. I can be contacted at last_kit@yahoo.com.

Thanks and regards

David Sew

David said...

Oh btw, just let me refresh the memory of yesteryears. I lived in a house at the weld, it was huge hosuing area where all the remaining wifes of Mr Chan Wing live in that housing area. Every saturday, the wives of late Mr Chan Wing will play mahjoon rotationally at each other house. Basically I grew up there. I live on the first house after the main gate entrance.......I miss those years and those memories!!!

deanna said...

Hi David

apologies for the long silence....haven't been updating my blog for quite a while..its interesting to know that you were once neighbours of Mr Chan Wing...
as far as I can understand, Chan King Nui is presently in Singapore.... I am in touch with her younger brother who is still residing in KL..

cheers
!
Deanna

Anonymous said...

i just found out today that my nanny who passed away more than 30years ago was one of chan wing's daugthers. Wow!

deanna said...

Wow... how did you finally come to know of it ? Where were you residing then? Would be great if you could offer more information.